After taking on Middle East, Beruff targets media and Democrats

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Carlos Beruff

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Carlos Beruff

After catching heat for telling Broward County Republicans that he would refuse “anybody from the Middle East into this country,” Republican U.S. Senate candidate Carlos Beruff found a new target Tuesday.

The media. And Democrats.

“The liberal media is out of control,” Beruff said. “And Democrats refuse to deal with reality. They make things up, sensationalize common sense solutions and exacerbate this obsession over political correctness.

“I stand by my answer and will repeat: anyone with ties, or possible ties, to terrorism should not be allowed in the United States,” he concluded.

Beruff, a Manatee County developer close to Gov. Rick Scott, is among five prominent Republicans running for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Marco Rubio.

U.S. Reps. Patrick Murphy of Jupiter and Alan Grayson of Orlando are running on the Democratic side, and Murphy was among those in his party critical of Beruff’s comments, calling them “dangerous to our democracy.”

Beruff said he’d make an exception for U.S. entry for Israelis, because of that nation’s strict security measures. But he told the Sun-Sentinel following Monday night’s meeting of the Broward Repubican Party that Christians and Muslims from elsewhere in the region should be kept out until the “immigration department” is “fixed.”

Scott, who appointed Beruff to lead his healthcare commission last year, sidestepped the candidate’s comments. Instead, he touted the state’s tourism numbers, adding, “I want people to come to our state.”

 

 

Reader Comments 0

0 comments